Shaikh Nizamuddin was born at Badaun in 1236. He lost his father at the age of five and came to Delhi with his mother. Later he became the disciple of the famous saint Shaikh Farid Shakarganj, who appointed him as his successor. His original tomb does not exist any longer.
It was repaired and decorated by Firuz Shah Tughluq (1351-88), but even the repaired building has disappeared. The present structure was built in 970 A.H (1562-63) by Faridu’n Khan, a nobleman with a high rank, and has been added to or repaired later by several persons.
It consists of a square chamber surrounded by verandahs, which are pierced by arched openings, while its roof is surmounted by a dome pringing from an octagonal drum.
The dome is ornamented by vertical stripes of black marble and is crowned by a lotus-cresting. The area around the tomb is regarded as sacred, with the result that a large number of persons, including those from the royalty, lie buried here.
Twice during the year, ie. on the death anniversaries of Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya and Amir Khusrau, a fair (urs) is held here, when the entire area comes to life with pilgrims congregating from all over India.
Writer has completed her masters (Specialization in medieval history) from Jamia Millia Islamia, department of history and culture.